Sunday, February 4, 2018

Altered Carbon, Netflix nails it this time!


New shows come and go. Some are good, some are bad, some are just ok. Then some.... some are amazing enough to bring a retired blogger back, and motivate him to create a new blog, just to talk about it.

Altered Carbon is one of those shows.

There is nothing I've seen that reminds me more of Bladerunner than Netflix's new creation. That of course can't be coincidence. But that's ok. They did an amazing job. The feel of this new world has that Bladerunner grit. The dark sooty future where the masses huddle in the gutters and under the shadows of humanities own weight. But this is not Bladerunner. Everyone here is a replicant, flung out among the stars. Class warfare is the core of this story, and what it is to be human. It isn't about humanity verses it's creations, it's about what humanity has done to itself. This is TV at it finest.

I'm not sure I've watched a show that touches on so many themes so well. I know I've never seen one that immersed me so quickly and thoroughly. I watched all 10 episodes at once, the day after it came out. I just couldn't stop. There is lots here we've seen before. None of the ideas, or even the visuals are new. But the way they are strung together, and the incredible way they are presented, are something we've longed for without knowing. I don't know the creators stories, but I know they were fans of both Bladerunner and Firefly. Bladerunner in the visuals of this world, and even some of the themes. Firefly in the feel and the heart of the story. I'll eat my shorts if the multiple references to firefly's in several of the episodes was accidental. We even have a faint impression of the Browncoats. They took the best of the things I love most, and made them into something new and amazing.

The writing is amazing, the casting is amazing, the visuals are amazing. This is a must see show I'm going to be telling everyone who will listen about. I don't give in depth reviews, it's not my thing. I give overall impressions and a summary. So I won't go into too many details here. But there isn't a character in this entire show that doesn't have some depth. Every person we meet is fleshed out and real. You CARE for these people, their hopes, their dreams, their feelings. Even the bad guys. This shows doesn't lose you in the tech and science of what's going on, it's just a back drop for the story. This show is about the people, their struggle, all of their struggles. This is a show about humanity. And how it's lost. It has spills, it has chills, it's sultry and it's graphic. And it's one twist after another. It's so well done I don't know how they are even going to keep it going, but I hope with everything I have that they do. This is simply the best of the best TV has to offer us.

And you know it's good when the one person whom your the saddest to see go away.... isn't even a person. I think we have Orison Scott Card to thank for that. But you'll have to watch it to see what I mean.

And I do suggest watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment